Qualifying for general registration
You are eligible to apply for general registration in Victoria if you have been awarded a degree in veterinary science or medicine, or you have a non-award qualification, which is on the list of qualifications accredited by the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council (AVBC)
(PDF). Some international graduates must also have passed the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE). Applicants may also need to demonstrate their English language competency. If you are not sure you qualify for general registration, contact the AVBC at email@example.com
or +61 3 9620 7844.
When to apply
The Board meets to consider applications every month. There is a cut-off date for submitting applications before each monthly Board meeting. You can ask for your application to be fast-tracked if you miss a cut-off date or want to be registered before a Board meeting. Fast-track processing takes up to 7 days and costs AUD$250 extra.
How to apply and what to send
You can email, post or or hand-deliver applications to our office (we do NOT accept faxed applications). Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org - you must email all documents as PDF files, NOT .jpeg, .png or other image files.
To apply for general registration, you must:
- Arrange for the registration or licensing authority where you are currently registered to email a letter of professional standing or license verification to email@example.com.
You cannot send the letter to the Board yourself; the authority where you are registered must send the letter directly to us.
- If you have active registration with more than one registration or licensing authority, you must arrange for all of those authorities to send the Board a letter of professional standing or license verification.
- If you are not currently registered with any authority, you must arrange for the authority where you were last registered to send the letter or license verification.
Send the Board the following documents:
- A completed application form
- A personal resume covering all education, work and veterinary activities up to now. If there are any gaps in your veterinary work or activities, please explain why. Include your place of birth, and your places of primary, secondary and tertiary education. If English is not your primary language, include a section detailing your English language education.
- A certified copy of your degree or diploma certificate from the tertiary institution where you graduated in veterinary science or medicine. Graduates of international universities who have taken the NAVLE, you must also arrange for the Veterinary Information Verifying Agency to email a score transfer certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org
- English language test results, if you have completed any of the tests listed in English language skills: AVBC Standards (PDF).
- A certified copy of photographic identification. If your ID is a driver's licence, the certified copy must contain photos of both the front and back pages of the licence.
About certifying document copies
- Find out which types of people are officially authorised to witness documents in the country or State where you are located.
- Please do not get your documents certified by a relative, housemate, or someone you are in a relationship with.
- The authorised person must write or stamp on the copy of the document: ‘I have sighted the document and certify this to be a true copy of the original.’ They must write this on the front of the copy (not a blank back page), and they must write this on each page if there is more than one page.
Fees for general registration
In the 2018-2019 financial year ending 30 June 2019, fees for general registration depend on the time of year you are applying:
- Fees for the period 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019 are AUD$520, consisting of a $150 application fee and $370 in registration fees.
- Fess for the period 1 December 2018 to 30 June 2019 are AUD$335, consisting of a $150 application fee and $185 in registration fees.
NOTE to have your application fast tracked, you would also pay a $250 fast track fee.
More information: general registration and service fees